- See Wing Tips at the end of this recipe for flavor options, and ideas for serving and reheating.
- I prefer wings cut in half. They seem to have a better flavor. Shop around to find a place that sells the wings already cut in half.
¼ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons savory (or marjoram or basil or oregano or a mixture of dried herbs)
2 teaspoons sea salt
3-5 pounds chicken wings
Use a large bowl or plastic bag to marinate the wings. A covered bowl works well and is good for the environment.
- Mix together everything but the wings.
Add the chicken wings and mix until all the wings are well coated with the marinade.
Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Wings can marinate for 3 days or more as long as you do not exceed the butcher's expiration date.
When you are ready to bake the wings:
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Bake in a jelly roll pan.
Optional: For easy clean-up, cover the jelly roll pan with parchment paper. The paper should hang over the edges to prevent the juices from getting onto the pan.
Place the wings in the jelly roll pan. Leave some marinade on the wings.
- I put most all of the marinade into the baking dish to build more flavor.
- After about 20 minutes, when the wings begin to turn golden, flip them over. Watch carefully! Sometimes the wings cook faster than expected! All together, they will cook 40-50 minutes. They seems to cook more slowly when there is more marinade on the wings. After another 15-20 minutes, flip them again. Check the wings every 5 minutes to be sure they do not overcook and they are golden brown on both sides.
If you have a big crowd, the wings will go further if you cut whole wings in half. Kitchen shears are helpful for this task. It's easiest to cut up the wings after they are cooked.
- Other seasonings to add to the basic marinade (alone or all at once). (*If you are going for a gut-friendly recipe skip the tamari, soy sauce and honey.)
- Soy sauce* or tamari*
- Grated gingerroot
- Black pepper or cayenne
- Minced jalapeno
- ¼ cup honey*
- Serving options – serve your wings as is, or with one or more of these:
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped scallions
- White or black sesame seeds
- Pesto sauce
- Before reheating the wings in the microwave, smear them with pesto sauce.