- I was never keen on ketchup, until I discovered this recipe in The Heal Your Gut Cookbook.
- This is a lacto-fermented ketchup. That means it’s good for you. The fermentation comes from either pickle juice or whey.
- Fermented pickles are made without vinegar. My favorites are Bubbie’s Kosher Dill Pickles. They are on the spicy side, so that gives my ketchup an extra punch.
- I wonder if this ketchup counts as a vegetable?
1/3 cup fermented pickle juice or whey
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon sea salt
2-4 tablespoons honey
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Transfer the ketchup to a jar. Cap the jar.
- Leave at room temperature for 2 days, then move to the fridge.
- The ketchup will keep for several months.