20110823

Blueberry Buckle for 7x11 pan

  • Double recipe is here.
  • Blueberry Buckle is basically a coffeee cake with berries in it -- lots of them. This summer, I  increased the berries, again. I'm using 4 cups of berries instead of 3. With the additional berries, the pan is filled more but still plenty big. With 4 cups of berries, it may need a little more baking time. (Sorry. I forgot to keep track.)
  • Also, the original version (from my friend Pat) had shortening, which I changed to vegetable oil.
  • Blueberry Buckle is great served warm, but I also love it the second day when the cake begins to take up the moisture of the berries.

Batter and Berries
2 cups flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt (I may have used less)
¼ cup canola oil
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
¾ cup milk
2 to 4 cups blueberries, rinsed (If you use 4 cups, see my note at the top.)

Topping
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup butter, softened

  • Preheat oven to 375°.
  • Grease an 7" x 11" pan. I have also used an oval au gratin baking dish made by Le Creuset, however now that I increased the berries to 4 cups, I doubt it will fit in that pan.
  • Mix the batter:
    • Sift/mix together all dry ingredients onto wax paper or into a small bowl.
    • Mix oil, sugar and egg. Cream well.
    • Add half the milk; mix well.
    • Add half the dry ingredients; mix well.
    • Add the rest of the milk; mix well.
    • Add the rest of the dry ingredients; mix well and then beat vigorously.
  • Fold-in blueberries.
  • Spread into greased pan.
  • Mix topping ingredients either with your hands or two butter knives. Sprinkle topping over batter.
  • Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until pick comes out clean. (If you use 4 cups of berries, see my note at the top; it's going to take longer but I don't know how long.)
  • Serve warm.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails