20130814

Falafel Chicken


  • I would have posted this recipe a few weeks ago when I first made it, but it tasted so good I forgot to take a picture. Last night, I did the same thing all over again. Luckily, I had a piece left over so I took the picture this afternoon.
  • With only three ingredients, it's very simple.
  • A friend gave me this recipe idea. Looking online, I see that some serve the chicken inside warm pita bread with hummus and slaw.
  • Warning: This chicken is addictive! I could not stop eating it! If you're counting calories, serve a large salad or a bowl of a broth-based soup first and maybe a glass of water before you serve the chicken. Serve it with one or two vegetables to help you fill up on more than chicken.
  • I used chicken thighs but you can use any chicken part. In fact, I suspect one could use this recipe with a fish filet or turkey meatballs or bison meatballs . . . you get the idea!
  • I prefer the skinned and boned chicken because that way you get more seasoning on the meat.
  • I used Telma brand falafel mix. I'm pretty sure any brand would work.

Chicken thighs, skinned and boned
Falafel mix, for 6 thighs I used about half a bag (2 bags/box) 
Vegetable oil
  • Select a baking pan.You can use a 13"x9" pan, a cookie sheet, or jelly-roll pan. I used a small broiler pan because I usually make a small batch and the pan fits in my counter-top oven.
  • Optional: line the baking pan with aluminum foil.
  • Lightly oil your baking pan. 
  • Preheat the oven to 350°. 
  • If the thighs are rolled, unroll them. The goal is to expose every surface to the seasoning. 
  • Sprinkle a small amount of the falafel mix into a shallow bowl. Roll the chicken in the mix until every surface is covered. Add more mix to the bowl as needed.  IMPORTANT! Only pour out as much falafel mix as you need. Once the mix has touched the raw chicken, it cannot go back into the bag as it may cause food poisoning. 
  • Put the chicken onto the baking sheet. You can leave the thighs flat or roll them. Rolling means the mix will get moist from the chicken juices. If you want it crispy on all sides, leave the thighs unrolled.
  • Bake 12-15 minutes and then turn over the thighs. Bake a total of~30-35 minutes. Big thighs will take longer. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°. You can read more about food safety temperatures here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails