20160501

Ketchup

  •  I was never keen on ketchup, until I discovered this recipe in The Heal Your Gut Cookbook
  • This is a lacto-fermented ketchup. That means it’s good for you. The fermentation comes from either pickle juice or whey.
  • Fermented pickles are made without vinegar. My favorites are Bubbie’s Kosher Dill Pickles. They are on the spicy side, so that gives my ketchup an extra punch.
  • I wonder if this ketchup counts as a vegetable?
12-14 ounces organic tomato paste
1/3 cup fermented pickle juice or whey
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon sea salt
2-4 tablespoons honey
  • Whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl.
  • Transfer  the ketchup to a jar. Cap the jar.
  • Leave at room temperature for 2 days, then move to the fridge.
  • The ketchup will keep for several months.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails