|Sephardic Charoset #2 in a tiny bowl (1.75" diameter)|
- Recipe updated April 2, 2015.
- Recipes for Sephardic charoset number in the dozens . . . probably the hundreds. I put together this combo after looking at many other recipes. I especially like the way the cayenne pepper gently sneaks up on you.
- You can use ground cumin or for extra flavor, toast whole cumin seeds. See the directions below.
- This recipe can be doubled, although the mixture may be too much for your food processor when you get to the last mixing step. You can do that last mixing by hand in a bowl.
½ pound pistachios in shell, roasted and salted (will make ~1 cup ground)
1 navel orange
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cumin (For extra flavor, see the third bullet above.)
1/16 teaspoon (a pinch) of cayenne
- This step is optional. If you want to use ground cumin, skip this step. If you want to toast whole cumin, put 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds in a dry skillet (no oil) for just a minute or two. Watch carefully so they do not burn. When the time is up, get the seeds out of the skillet or they will continue to cook and may burn. Grind the cumin seeds with a mortar and pestle.
- Shell the pistachios. Grind the pistachios in food processor until finely chopped. It will make approximately one cup of chopped pistachios. Set aside in a bowl. Don't bother washing the food processor until the recipe is all done.
- Remove pits from dates. Roughly chop. Whirl chopped dates in food processor until well chopped. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Wash and rinse the navel orange rind really well. Remove the blossom. Cut the orange in half. Remove the navel. Slice up the orange (rind and all). Whirl it in the food processor to get it fully chopped.
- Add all the spices to the chopped orange: cinnamon, cardamom, cumin and cayenne.
- Add the dates to the mixture in the processor. Whirl briefly to mix.
- Add the pistachios. Whirl just until mixed -- do not over mix. You want to be able to still see the colors of the pistachios and orange. If the mixture is too dense for the machine, finish mixing by hand in a bowl.
- Place in a covered container and chill.