This is a dairy recipe. If you substitute Kosher for Passover (KFP) margarine for the butter, it will be parve.
2 cups whole wheat (or regular) matzo meal (or use cake meal and skip the second step)
1 cup butter (or KFP margarine)
¾ cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon KFP vanilla or KFP wine (optional)
2 cups nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven. Grease a 9x13 pan. If you are making this parve, use oil to grease the pan. Dust pan with cocoa.
- If you buy your cake meal, you can skip this step. Place the whole wheat (or regular) matzo meal in a blender and whirl until the texture is fine. If you only have a food processor, it will work -- but not quite as well as a blender. Now you have cake meal.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or a double boiler. Add the cocoa, and sugar. Mix until blended. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs. Pour the melted chocolate mixture slowly over the eggs, beating all the time.
- Add the cake meal you prepared in the second step. Mix well.
- Add the vanilla (or wine) and nuts, if you wish.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until done.