The recipe calls for shortening but vegetable oil will probably work, too.
1 large orange
1 cup seedless raisins
1/3 cup walnuts
2 cups sifted flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening (vegetable oil will probably work instead)
1 cup milk
2 unbeaten eggs
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour a 13x9 pan.
- Juice orange and reserve 1/3 cup juice for topping. Discard seeds.
- Grind the pulp and rind of the orange along with the raisins and 1/3 cup walnuts. If you do this in a meat grinder, use the coarse blade. This can also be done in a food processor or blender.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the shortening and ¾ cup milk. Beat 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and ¼ cup milk. Beat 1½ minutes.
- Fold in the orange-raisin-nut mixture.
- Turn batter into the greased pan. Bake 40 to 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the cinnamon, sugar and walnuts in a small bowl and set aside for later.
- Remove cake from oven. Drizzle the orange juice over the warm cake. Sprinkle top with the sugar-cinnamon-nut mixture.