Makes 3 cups
2 cups water or broth
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 slightly beaten egg
1 cup kasha
- Combine liquid, salt, and pepper in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, stir egg into kasha and mix well, making sure all the kernels are coated with egg.
- Place egg coated kasha into a 1 quart or larger heavy skillet or fry pan which has a tight-fitting lid.
- On HIGH heat, constantly flatten, stir, and chop the egg-coated kasha with a fork or wooden spoon for 2 to 4 minutes or until egg has dried on kasha and kasha kernels are very hot and mostlly separated.
- Remove skillet from burner. Being careful not to get burned by spattering or steam, quickly add the boiling liquid.
- Quickly cover skillet and return to burner. Reduce heat to LOW. Steam kasha 10 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir and check that kernels are tender and liquid has absorbed. If not done, cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- Remove cover. Fluff with fork. Serve.