¼ cup butter
1 cup white ends of leeks, separated, rinsed, chopped
¼ cup flour
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock or water
1 pound fiddleheads, cleaned
1 cup peeled and chopped parsnips
1 cup chopped celery, leaves and all
2 cups milk
¼ teaspoon (or more) grated nutmeg
- Melt butter in large soup pot.
- Add leeks, cook at low heat until softened but not brown.
- Blend in flour to make a roux. Cook 2 minutes at LOW heat.
- Whisk in stock in batches.
- Add fiddleheads, parsnips and celery to pot. Bring to boil, stir, over MEDIUM heat.
- Reduce to LOW heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Puree soup in blender then return to pot.
- When ready to served, heat through. Stir in milk and seasonings.